Monday, March 2, 2009

Nonsense

With the mayhem that's called weekend: shamefully late 'n laden breakfast spreads, kids' sporting events, miscellaneous errands involving different combinations of kids to parent, the 'squeezing in' of a date-night, and organizing for the upcoming school week--- the relative quiet of Monday morning and being in the house alone... never fails to cause me to reflect on how much I really do appreciate and actually enjoy the proverbial Penelope's Web when it comes to domestic life. (Actually, there'll be more on Penelope in another post.) Although the better portion of Monday should be devoted to re-setting the domicile, more often than not, I'll only add to the clutter by dragging out my trusty machine along with my 'tool box' to tackle some random project like this apron.



I spied a mocked-up version of it at the local fabric source and knew immediately I must make one, for no other good reason than I thought it a delightfully silly and pretty item. And useless for the most part, since a 'real apron' is the kind that has the bib part in the front to really keep the spatter off. Needless to say, the kids gave me the raised eyebrow when I put on the apron with my latex-free cleaning gloves for maximum effect.
Let's see... shall I channel Laura?...



Or maybe, Doris?...



No matter how you slice it, donning frilly aprons and other such nonsense spells basket case, I know.



Hmmm..... another nice combo. This little number is actually a very practical item. I found it on Etsy. It's a 1930's relic, used for the gathering of eggs, still functional and it's collapsible.

No, I don't keep chickens and no, I don't live on a farm.... but a girl can dream, can't she???

3 comments:

  1. Okay, I have a secret dream apron. Aprons represent the last dying breath of the June Cleaver dreams of a Happy Home in the Burbs of a Prozac Nation, and one of these days I will bring one home. And probably post pictures of it on the internet. Because I am just THAT kind of girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who's Doris and Laura?? Are they some grown-up characters that I don't know about?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Momo, Laura: Ingalls Wilder. Doris Day: you may have to Google.

    Holly, careful cuz I may just have to make one for you.

    ReplyDelete