
I recently heard a historian refer to the study of history as being 'a conversation with the dead.' On that subject, I just picked up Alison Weir's biographical narrative, The Six Wives of Henry VIII, for this month's Ravelry Book Group discussion. I haven't read a lot of English Tudor history and I'm wondering what I'm getting myself into what with the size of this book alone!
In my student days, I immensely enjoyed the reading and lecture part of any school work I did. It was just the follow-up assignments that I loathed and procrastinated, and the exams and deadlines that I couldn't handle. It's a wonder I ever made it through. Nevertheless, it was always the learning that I loved and the 'proof of learning' that I was hopeless at.
So instead of our usual movie outing, (last weekend we saw Coraline--- creepy and wonderful at once) Mike and I ventured out this past Saturday morning to attend a lecture given by Professor R. Tracy McKenzie of the University of Washington titled, "Thinking Christianly About History - Possibilities to Explore, Pitfalls to Avoid." Hmmm... interesting topic, maybe even an inflammatory one at that! And no test to take afterward--- I'm all over that! I was also curious to know who else would be in attendance given the subject matter and the tenure of the speaker. Those in attendance turned out to be people from both Christian and non-Christian backgrounds and a variety of academic disciplines including philosophy and mathematics. The lecture was extremely thought-provoking and challenging. And the mixture of people promoted a very satisfying question-answer session afterwards.
I must admit I'm pretty daunted at the task of trying to outline the lecture from the notes I took, certainly because 'proof of learning' has never been my forte as you know and also because I fear the danger of unwittingly botching up the intended message of the author. But I'll give it my best attempt only because this lecture has really helped me to understand the greater significance of 'proof of learning'--- and NOT in a way I've thought much of before. Below are the principles that Dr. McKenzie defines as imperative to the study of history, in no particular order according to him. I'm also eager to know how applicable you might think these academic principles to be, either from a sacred or secular perspective:
1) In the study of history, seek to analyze more than memorize. Seek to describe, explain, and evaluate the past. The literal Latin translation of the word educate is 'to draw out of,' NOT 'to put in.' Authentic education involves the occurrence of a change made within.
2) Seize every opportunity for moral reflection in the study of history. Evaluating the moral action of the dead should cause us to constantly evaluate our own moral world view. If we realize that the moment we arrive at a conclusion, we no longer see it, then we can understand how the values that shape us the most are the most invisible to us. When a consensus is acquired, all debate ceases.
3) Seek enlightenment from the past and NOT ammunition to promote our own agendas. When we use the past as ammunition, the result comes in form of the 'culture wars' we witness today. The cost: history is robbed of its power and loses it potential to surprise, unnerve and teach.
4) It's tempting to think too highly of our measure to know. Instead, let the knowledge gained from history cultivate wonder and humility. Human behavior is complicated and our understanding is limited by our finitude. Pride in the mastering, or the simplifying of a complex past only serves to puff us up and minimize the chasm between our own understanding and the sovereign omniscience of God.
5) Make yourself comfortable with complexity. Don't be afraid of the hard questions history may pose, strive to look for the very questions that cannot be answered simply and definitively.
6) It's all too easy to judge the values of others by simply applying our own values as the standard. Combat complacency in the study of history by putting the burden of proof upon yourself and invite the past to ask you hard questions.
7) Constantly clarify your identity. Don't allow your 'sense' of the past: what you've come to understand to be the cause of your political affiliations, economic, professional, familial, denominational affiliations to become blurred with your identity as a Christian. In other words, guard against what's called, "Christianity And."
Dr. McKenzie went on to examine three case-studies in the historical treatment of Slavery and the Civil War, the framing of the U.S. Constitution, and the Pilgrims and First Thanksgiving. His comprehensive knowledge and valuable insights certainly expanded my previous perfunctory understanding of all three case-study topics but there was for me one point that underscored the entire lecture, both in the content of the lecture itself and the manner in which the content was conveyed. That is, 'proof of learning' or the indication that someone has 'learned well' (particularly in the study of history) can be measured entirely by one thing: the amount of humility he or she has gained in the process.
A gross over-simplification on my part? What do you think?
Well, off now to 'visit' Henry's six wives. I've never read Alison Weir's work before so I have no idea what degree of fluff or fact this historical account will offer. But beginning with this book, I will be more intentional about welcoming the opportunity to change any regular way of thinking I may have but of course wouldn't know that I have until I start to read, evaluate, reflect...


Wow, that's some heady thinking--but I LIKE it!
ReplyDeleteI'm really glad you liked the lecture... and I like the picture too! :D
ReplyDeleteBut but but but but.... your title for the blog.. "i see dead people" is kinda creepy... :D
ReplyDeleteI like Alison Weir. I really like Alison Weir. Or at least her writings. The book you have picked up was the first of the author's added to my own bookshelves as permanent residents to revisit.
ReplyDeleteGreen Girl, Holly, thanks for the encouragement!
ReplyDeleteMocha, I changed the post title, thank you dear.