Just so you know, I had every good intention of observing Earth Hour last month, but forgot--- so last night gave me an opportunity to make up for it, I think. The quest for light started with these hanging sconces which are practically new from lack of use:

Then these in the 'craft room' aka dining room:

And voila, I was also able to finish skein-winding via candlelight. Mike was completely cracking up at my unabated fervor for the yarn endeavor.

Yet whenever the lights go dim, most Seattlites can't help but recall the massive power outage we experienced in 2006. What started as a mere flickering of lights, ended up leaving many residents in our area without power for at least two weeks during the dead of winter. The whole 'candlelight ambiance' thing was a moot point considering the freezing (indoor) temperatures. Since our house has not been wired for a generator, we had to pack our bags and drive to lodging in Portland.
Last night's events were much less stressful, thankfully. I took a hot bath (by candlelight) and read a little (also by candlelight), and felt pretty contented in general. I did hear a neighbor's generator kick on though, and that was a little annoying--- mainly because the sound remains linked in my memory to that harsh winter outage. It's not so awful to see neighboring houses completely dark in the springtime with frogs chirping in the background. It's another thing to have to listen to the awful drone of a generator... a nagging reminder of something not quite right.
Not that I was overly concerned about knowing which neighbor it was, the pond causes sound to bounce so it could have been anyone. But I did wonder why they needed to run the generator at all. It seemed that it wasn't being used to power any lighting nearby. The weather has been warm enough that certainly the furnace was not the issue. That left the possibility that someone was using it to run their television! Or computer--- (Mike did lose about two hours of work last night due to lack of Internet service.) But most likely the generator was powering a fridge or freezer... And I suppose I can forgive them that--- even if the noise did make falling asleep a chore!
In any case, having to consider alternative light sources for the evening reminded me of how much I like the little flames at the ends of wicks and how much I've been neglecting using the candles I have. Here is my absolute favorite candle, hand-made locally by a young woman who sells at our Redmond Saturday Market. The company is called Ascents, and she also has an online shop. Hers are the epiphany of clean-burning candles. They are completely paraffin-free and are made from all renewable plant products. The palm wax she uses keeps the candle from collapsing as it burns and has the effect of crystallizing like quartz. I don't normally care for scented candles, but I love the fragrance of Cedar essential oil in this one:

On the knitting front: I've finally finished one Long Lacey glove, just one more to go! I've been working ridiculously slowly on these--- (My friend Jasmine at Woolly Stuff has actually knitted two complete sweaters in the same time that it's taken me to knit this one glove):

I plan to work a bit on the second glove tonight--- and who knows, I may not wait for an excuse to light a candle or two while I'm at it...


that glove looks great!
ReplyDeleteThank you Steph!!!
ReplyDeleteA little power outage definitely does not stop the crafty endeavors at our house!
ReplyDeleteI always loved to lose power for short periods under 24 hour or so. It's a nice change of pace, and a great excuse to light all of the sconces and pillars. We had a nice 24 hour outage in Washington after a windstorm around 1997, and another down here after Hurricane Charley.
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately my boyfriend is allergic to scented candles, so mine have been shut away in a cabinet for years now. I used to LOVE to light candles all around the house.
Gotta LOVE that glove, too!
That reminds me. I have to get some candles... the cedar-scented one sounds lovely!
ReplyDeleteI may have knit two tops, but now I probably won't knit anything for the next two or three weeks. It's how I do all my work! I work really, really hard for a short period of time, and then do very, very little for a long period of time! :)
Your glove looks beautiful, so elegant.
I love having candle-lit evenings. We had a couple last summer, which gave me the chance to use some beeswax candles I had found on Etsy.
ReplyDeleteI do love candle-light. The Boy has a bit of a terror of Things That Are On Fire, so we rarely enjoy such. Perhaps you could pick one night a week to turn out the lights and shut down all the gadgetry while enjoying a lovely break?
ReplyDeleteI love candlelight and now that we live in the burbs I don't mind losing the power at all. When we lived in the country, we had a well and when we had no electricity we had no water and I really hated that. Love the glove.
ReplyDeleteI don't mind a power outage in nice weather--great gloves:) Awesome candles! How did you get your photos to turn out so well in the dim lighting?
ReplyDeleteThat glove is really elegant! Looks fantastic with jeans too!
ReplyDeleteBy the way thanks for the link... v. interesting reading!
ReplyDeleteWell, I was in the shower when that recent power outage happened!! Haha but I had to laugh about it afterwards... hmmm.. Sorry, I could have been knocked out I was so tired that night! But I do remember the sound of those frogs. haha
ReplyDeleteNice work, mommy, on the gloves!!