
Our week of the country life has so quickly come to an end. Blisters have healed and horsey relationships have mended too. The young mare Dakota, turned out to be not as feisty as she was just plain frightened--- of me, no less. I made the discovery shortly after the rearing incident that she simply was unnerved at the sight of me in her owner's barn coat. When later I wore one of my hand knit wools, she gave my arm a good long sniff and then very calmly and happily followed me out to her pasture. Wearing Linda's coat (to keep my own from becoming too "horsey") probably had the same effect on Dakota as the Bride of Frankenstein would have had on me: somebody else's head atop Linda's coat! Poor girl! In fact, I distinctly remembered her looking at me sideways as I spoke to her... right before she reared that first day. I wore the same sweater the rest of the week and I'm happy to say, we became fast friends as a result.
On Thursday, the kids and I took a visit to the feed store and had a chance to make a few more animal acquaintances there. Morgan became quickly enamored by a little black bunny named Houdini, up for adoption: (Sorry Mocha, you'll have to stick to getting your bunny fix from Linda's.)

Meanwhile, the resident mouser was busy speculating on the store's newest tenants. What a good kitty. Those few weeks around Easter must be quite an exercise in willpower for that ol' hunter.

With Linda and family now back from vacation and the animals reunited with their human family, I suppose it's proper time to say our goodbyes and thanks to everyone at the farm for such a fun and memorable week---
Goldie, thanks to you, Sugar and Blackie for providing such beautiful eggs for us!

Dakota, even though we got off on the wrong hoof--- I consider you a bff now.

Jag, you were an absolute gentleman.

BJ, thanks for working hard behind the scenes to make our week a rodent-free one!

Fatty Ally, we loved how much you purred for us. And watching you "break dance" on top of your cat tree was far better than anything we've seen on those television dance competitions.

Rocky and Jack, you wild and crazy dudes--- Tell the bunnies 'hay' for us!

Happy trails to y'all. Until we meet again...

(Bunny and kitty photos- Sarah W.)


Awww, glad you had a good week, even if it is done now!
ReplyDeletebeautiful photos - esp. the chicks...hope you're rested and relaxed.
ReplyDeleteLove the animal pictures! When we lived in the country we had chickens. They were so cute as chicks and when they grew up the eggs were wonderful. I do miss them.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great adventure! Looks like a wonderful week--- isn't it fun to walk a bit in someone else's shoes?
ReplyDeleteAs a city girl, I cannot deny that I am entranced by the fuzzy farm animals like chicks and goats (and cats!)
ReplyDeleteWhat a perfect week of good company!
ReplyDeleteSorry I'm late reading your last farewell post to the farm! That would have been my dream vacation!
ReplyDeleteI understand what you mean about Dakota and the jacket. My brother has a parrot, and he found that the parrot would attack him anytime he wore this red flannel shirt. The best we could figure, the parrot probably had a bad experience with a man in red flannel. He was a "wild-caught" parrot from Honduras, and probably had one of the guys there mishandle him.
It sounds like you guys had a blast. And that is one fat cat!