Monday, April 20, 2009

Indulgent


The fact that we had 70 degree weather with sunshine and absolutely none of the normal kid-sports or kid-friends events to attend made this past weekend probably the most indulgent one we've had in a long while. Mike and the kids took the short trek over to See's Candies to re-fill my stash --- because nothing says "start the weekend right" like a one pound box of my fave Scotchmallows. And the best part is I'm never expected to share what I'm given in the way of Scotchmallows. (Of course just to be sure, I always keep the box in the bedroom instead of the pantry.)

On Friday night, Mocha earned some babysitting money while the grown-ups went out to see Sunshine Cleaning, the Indie film whose plot is based on a 2001 NPR story of two women who operate a cleaning business specializing in the unseemly task of 'mopping up' crime scenes. I don't know if I've become completely desensitized given all of the crime scene/forensic television shows of late--- I've never been a huge fan that stuff, but I liked the movie a lot. I think the casting, the treatment of the 'gore' element in the story and the story itself were really good.



We also saw the corporate espionage flick Duplicity last week. The thing is, Julia usually ends up giving me a headache. Nothing against her as a person and all--- I just don't care much for watching actors or actresses who've gotten so 'big' in the industry, they show up in movie after movie only to play glib versions of either themselves or their former movie roles. Even though I'm tempted, I shalln't fault the actors for this unfortunate practice because I think the studios are more the ones to blame. But since this movie happened to fit into a perfect time slot for us, I agreed to see it and was once again pleasantly surprised to find that I liked it.




Hooray, I had some time over the weekend to make some progress on these: (my new row counter is helping me keep better track of the pattern too)




And on Saturday I attended my very first spin-in with the Eastside Spinners. Wow, talk about amazing. The fibers, the gorgeous artisan-made spinning wheels (what a variety), the sheer talent and experience of the group members--- and then there I was, with my beast of a wheel and my even more beastly yarn! And yet the entire group couldn't have been more supportive, welcoming and generous in their lending of expert instruction and advice. I learned so much and had an absolutely wonderful time.
[Funny back-story on my wheel: when I asked the previous owner if she had named the wheel, as some spinners do, she replied that she was too busy cursing in the learning process to name it! In keeping with that same spirit, I think I might as well name my wheel "The Beast." And maybe, "Beauty" will appear in my yarn someday?]


Remember my yarn? Well, get a load of this gorgeous stuff that another Eastside Spinner, Nancy has made:


I was so inspired by the all gorgeous strands I saw at the meet, later that evening I did the unthinkable: I went to cloudlover69 at Etsy and ordered roving in a color palette that wasn't neutral! My knitting friends will probably keel over at the sight of these vibrant colors--- they've only ever known me to knit and wear neutrals, neutrals, neutrals.


Immediately following the spin-in, I also made my first trip to the nearby Cultured Purls and picked up some yarn for a sweater I've had in my queue for a while. (Back to the neutrals to calm myself down I think!) I found some nice mohair yarn but had to order the bulky-weight yarn I'll need for project. Hopefully, I'll be done with my lacey gloves by the time the new yarn arrives.


Here's the Sally Melville Mother of the Bride sweater I'd like to make:



Today though, it's back to reality so to speak. Middle child stayed home from school with a cold and we all have (apologies, but) a hellishly busy week and upcoming weekend ahead of us. It was fun while it lasted but now the trick will be to make up for all of the happy over-indulgences and avoidance of things that should've gotten done.
Ahh, Mondays... ;)

(Spinning photos: Eastside Spinners Yahoo Group and Nancy at www.PersistentKnitter.com)

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely weekend. The gloves are looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't you find that Julia Roberts looked strangely like Kyra Sedgwick in that movie?

    The glove looks like it's coming along beautifully now!

    I'll be really interested to see how your brightly coloured roving spins up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool--I love your yarn colors.
    Those cookies--which I've never before heard of--look deadly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow. My heart beats faster at the mere vision of those yummy chocolates... and the new non-neutral yarn? Yowza. Those colors are just so vibrant! May the minor over-indulgences see you through the week with your happy intact!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great weekend! Those Scotchmallows look YUM! Looks like great progress on those gloves. Can't wait to see the FO.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That scene looks oddly familiar! LOL!! I couldn't make it this last time because of other commitments...but the next issaquah spin in I should be there! Nice to meet you via my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kathy! It was great to meet you last week. I will have to try those Scotchmallows, they look divine. Can you tell us more about the row counter? Hope to see you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, sometimes actors get too famous for their own good. I can't watch a film with Julia Roberts or Tom cruise in it without being reminded of them, rather than their characters. Still I guess it's a mark of how good an actor they are (or not as the case may be)!

    I LOVE those colours - my kind of colours!! M

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi - there's nothing better than a 'do nothing' weekend but doing all the things you love to do. This weekend I'm going to 'wonderwool' in Wales - your spinning pictures added to the anticipation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll go to See's any time, for you!! (I get to sneak in a butterscotch lollipop! yummo!)
    :) That spin-in looks like a real shindig! :) I'm glad that you have a lot of fun!!
    The Beast is the perfect name for it! The Beauty spinning on The Beast!! hmm... that kinda sounds weird, but hey! it's true! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmmm. I've never tried scotchmallows but I think I'd like them. A lot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had to sneak a peek at your blog to see what "red yarn" you were talking about. I remember that now! It's a merino silk from Sanquine Griffon. I just pulled the finished skein out of my 'finished' bin. I'm glad you were at spinning again this weekend - you're conquering that beast of a wheel step by step!

    ReplyDelete