
I ran into some trouble and haven't made much progress on the Long Lacy Gloves. Pictured here is my new start on them. I'd previously worked about six inches from the cuff downward before I made a fatal error and had to rip out. Which really wasn't so terrible since the yarn I'd originally chosen had already started to fuzz. And it's no fun knitting something that ends up looking worn before you've even worn it--- so new day, new yarn! Uh, literally...
Seems I've managed to put myself backward at least one or two steps in the knitting process by purchasing this Louet S10 production wheel, second-hand from a fellow Raveler. And hereby begins the journey otherwise known as "spinning." Although I can't exactly explain my compulsion to venture into this territory... I do know that Ravelry had no small part in this. Something about hundreds of spinners in the forum threads discussing fibers, wheels, and hand spun knitted's made me just want to try it too---

Here is the woolly roving that begins as fluff:

Ideally, it will end up twisted and spun into a yarn like this Cascade 220:

However after two lessons and four hours behind the wheel, my yarn looks like this:

Which is such a long way from this:

And for that matter, an even longer way from the Long Lacy Gloves:

In staying true to my do first, over-analyze later modus, I'm saying to myself, "okay Kath, you've got yourself a spinning wheel--- what on earth for???
I don't know. Maybe the spinning endeavor is sort of a re-set? It wasn't too long ago that I thought of spinning as something that looked rather boring and unnecessary. Now I'm seeing it as a different way of interpreting a known course. So knitting is not just knitting: unwinding a ball of yarn with a couple of needles--- it's actually the process of creating woven fabric without a loom. (Oh yeah, sooo over-analyzed, I know. ;))
My weaving instructor says that spinning is one of the oldest textile arts known to man and that spinning logically preceded weaving. Of course woven textiles have made for our comfort and survival from our very beginning and continue to do the same for us today. So the idea of spinning causes me to see modern textiles differently as well. Even something as uninteresting as a bedsheet can be thought of as textile 'art', since it's made up of fibers dyed, spun, and then woven... Crazy!
This may be a leap, but do you think the Obama's version of Eleanor Roosevelt's Victory Garden has the same type of re-set quality I'm speaking of? ...maybe.
I do agree that going backward a few steps in any practice can serve a good purpose. But at this point, I'm not yet feeling the urge to raise my own sheep or wear exclusively home spun fiber. (Are you relieved for me?;))
No, for now I'm contented to be just spinning my wheels...
(Photo: Long Lacy Gloves from Interweave Press)


I think it's nice to be involved in every part of a process. So, next you'll just need to get yourself some sheep or maybe an angora goat... (did I mention that I'm an enabler??)
ReplyDeleteCan you believe I typed a long comment here, and then lost it all? Suffice to say, I get it. I ate a tomato the other day that I grew in my garden, and it was delicious! Normally I don't care too much for tomatoes, but this was so good! I don't know if it is because it is homegrown and therefore fresher and more flavorful, or if it is more the fact that I grew it with my own two hands and that makes it taste better. I imagine that it would be a similar thing if you knit with wool you spun yourself-- it just makes it that much better. It's awesome to be part of the process instead of just the end.
ReplyDeletewow! Venturing into spinning! I told myself I would never do it, but I am beginning to crave spinning. But do I really need a new craft? :) You have inspired me! I think I would start this craft just to get the cool spinning wheel! :)
ReplyDeleteI think the yarn you are spinning looks great! I like the chunky look! It looks like a lot of fun! :)
I'm learning to spin, too and my yarn doesn't look half as good as yours. I think in this very stressful time, making or growing things is good for the soul. It makes us slow down and enjoy a process as opposed to all the immediateness we have come to expect.
ReplyDeleteGreat photos and I think your yarn looks more interesting, it would be great to embellish with. Beautiful textures.
ReplyDeleteHomemade goodies tend to have a few irregularities. I believe those are referred to as, "character".
ReplyDeletespinning your own yarn? I'm impressed!! I can't imagine doing that in the concrete jungle of London where I live Lol!
ReplyDeleteWhat a delightful idea to make your own yarn! I have heard of home-spun yarn before but never contemplated the logical steps that -- should -- precede such a conclusion; that supplies, patience and practice is much needed!
ReplyDeleteI could very much see myself spin my own yarn some day, but I have a habit of over-romanticising things, and the truth is probably that do I ever attempt to spin something I would be so tangled up in all the wool and yarn that I would never be found again. ;)
Best of luck with your spinning adventures!
Romans thought the "ideal" Roman woman were the woman who stayed at home, and spinned. Even the wealthy Romans that did not need to make their own clothes, were highly looked up to. Mother, you are an ideal Roman woman! haha your yarn has come a long way!! :)
ReplyDelete