Actually, I made several attempts over the past few weeks to write this, but I kept getting out of control and ending up with drafts that were way, way too long and too wordy. So here it is, my best shot at encapsulating KH, once and for all.
1) Believe it or not, I meant for this yarn to be a dark brown with red and amber contrasts. Icelandic wool however, drinks up lots of dye. And since dyed yarn looks very different when it's finally dry, I had a fail for dark brown. Lesson learned: dyeing yarn is really hard to do, especially if you want pretty yarn.

2) My personal motto from here on out: "buy it, don't dye it."

3) I also learned (gasp!) Russell Crowe does not really knit.

Well, I suspected as much.
Convince me that Russell doesn't know more about Chinese take-out than he does knitting:

4) I learned that the practice of knitting is only about 800 years old. Much older woven artifacts and weaving textiles are commonly mistaken by archaeologists to be knitting tools and knitted items. Why? Because most archaeologists aren't knitters.
5) As uptight and antiquated I've thought Knitting Guilds to be, I learned that they function to uphold standards of excellence in knitting for the purpose of preserving the history of the handicraft. I'm more inclined to join one now.
6) I learned that lever-knitting is the most ergonomic, efficient way to knit. The method was used by our hand-knitting predecessors during the 19th century cottage industry production era.
(photo: Shetland Museum Archives)7) Even though very young children can learn to lever knit, it would take approximately 28 days to establish the muscle memory required to swtich from my current of style of knitting (English) to Lever-knitting. Which means I'll probably never learn to lever knit:
(Trying to keep my index and thumbs free and allow the larger muscle groups execute movement.)8) Color perception registers very highly in emotional value when it comes to knitting and yarn. So maybe if I think of a fabulous color name for my (ahem) not so pretty yarn, it might help with my perception of it. Ideas?
I'll leave you now with the rest of my scrapbook pictures and happier colors to see---
Happy New Year to you, dear friends! May 2010 bring much joy and lots of knitting!











I like your little skein and I think you should keep it, make a little swatch or something. Happy New Year!
ReplyDeleteI never knew so much of this! Glad you're still stitchin!
ReplyDeleteGreat, informative post! :) Happy New Year!
ReplyDeleteIt looks like it was a great time. Sorry to have missed it. And lever knitting? Knit in the way that makes you happy!
ReplyDeleteHappy new year!
Great post. Thank you for sharing it and if you really don't like your yarn, you can also share that with me. Slainte!
ReplyDeleteI like the colour of your skein - it looks like a colour you'd find on the moors!
ReplyDeleteHappy new year!!!! jx
I have to say that I think your sad little skein is actually rather lovely! Maybe it's just that it's not the skein that was in your head before you started to dye it. It looks to me rather like an old paper rose colour, and very pretty too. Thanks for sharing your photos - it looks like a lot of fun!
ReplyDeleteLovely pics.
ReplyDeleteWe launched a Knitter's Guild here in Snohomish in Sept 2009. No stuffiness here, just dynamic, hilarious fun!
Check out our website.
You're being way to hard on yourself for your first dye!
ReplyDeletethat fiber bundle pic is just not right. talk about "covet"!
ReplyDelete-Lisa: wabi sabi yarns/poppy flower fibers
I loved seeing all the photos from your adventure! I like your dyed yarn. It has such lovely fall colors in it.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the walk down memory lane...WAIT until you see my really cool hat that I'm felting from my not so pretty yarn!
ReplyDelete