Michele Bernstein's Pippi Earflap Hat on display at Twisted in Portland, ORI've been following Michele's blog, PDXKnitterati for as long as I've been blogging. She's got a great sense of fun--- and as a knitwear designer and Portland native, she keeps her blog readers extremely well-apprised of all things yarny and fibery. When Michele learned that my friend Chandria and I would be heading down to her neck of the woods for the Snohomish Knitters Guild Portland Yarn Crawl, she generously offered to show us around her hometown last Saturday. It was so cool to be able to trek through town and hang out with Michele as she led us to so many great places in Portland:
Knit Ambassador to PDX: Michele chauffeuring me, Chandria, and Denise- another Seattleite yarnie we met on the train.There was so much to see and enjoy in Portland, Chandria and I left town planning our next trip back. We're so happy that Michele has agreed to let us give her mini-yarn tour of Seattle the next time she's in town. Here's a picture re-cap of the day:
Chandria ready to join 125 other knitters for a very early departure from the Jackson Street Station, Seattle:

Charisa, our Yarn Train coordinator, Knit Lollipop for tiny sock KAL, Katie Kent serenades us with the Yarn Train Song
Arrival at Union Station
Raffle winners announced and final instructions before the Crawl begins
Portland not only has the most yarn stores per captia anywhere, it's a picturesque city to boot--- I love all the architecture. (That's the public library, bottom left.) Our first stop though, ended up being a non-yarn one, at Dig:
Too cool for words. I wanted to take home everything I saw, but managed to refrain.
Then to Bonnet, where I bought a pretty gray tam.
(Knit Kit in the window of Powell's Books, the famous Deschutes Brewery.)We met up with Michele at Knit Purl. I found a couple of skeins of Camelspin I had in mind for the Stefanie Japel shawl class I'm signed up for. Knit Purl ran a gumball sale: at checkout, customer receives penny for gumball machine. Gumball color determines %off. My yarn ended up being 15% off with no sales tax. Woot.
Then to the Button Emporium, across the street from the public libray. (That's Michele's pretty Seafoam Sock.)At Starbucks, Michele introduced us to Judy Becker and friends, including Susan from Abstract Fibers.
Discussing new yarn that will debut at Madrona....
Michele gets a tweet from Twisted about Voodoo doll kits:
Just in time for Valentine's Day, apparently. The one on the right is wearing a sticker that says: Hello. My name is Matt.... Poor Matt.
I completely fell in love with Twisted! And BMFA like nothing I've ever seen in a LYS. While we were there, Michele helped me choose some Debbie Bliss Aran Cashmerino to make a Pippi Hat yay! and Chandria scored some awesome STR and Woobu.

A delicious bite at the pub next door to Twisted and then across the bridge to Yarnia:

Up to six different strands of fiber can be wound together to create a custom yarn:
I chose mohair, silk and merino to make a pair of mitts. DIY price for 200 yds: $7.00
No! I didn't knit it! It's the tam I picked up at Bonnet. I'm probably the only person on the planet who'd buy an already-knitted item on a yarn crawl... But wearing it will certainly remind me of a wonderful day spent with yarny friends. Can't wait to go back!(Yarn Train Flickr set here)


What a fun trip! I'm SO jealous. I love the gray tam you bought, even if it is already-knit. ;)
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazingly creative trip! I love it.
ReplyDeleteAnd I desperately want that red metal sculpture.
How incredible! Your hat--the architecture--the funky shops--what a great day! I'm so glad you got to go.
ReplyDeleteWhat fun! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteAs I said on Michelle's post, I'm so jealous that you two know each other IRL! It looks like you had a great time!
ReplyDeleteWow, you took way more pictures than I did! What a fun day. I'm so glad I was able to meet up with you. Hope to see you soon!
ReplyDeleteI am SO jealous. Not only have I never been to Portland, but I am also a huge Michele fan and would love to hang out with her! :) Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteLovely lovely post! Almost like being there. So YOU were the one who bought the beret. I had the same on on my head and the shop gal told me that another Yarn Trainer had already gotten it. It is LOVELY. I put it back. And good thing -- it looks fabulous on you! I could not have even held a close second! Thank you for being part of the day. Hope you'll come again next year!!
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely fabulous pictures!!! What a fun day and such an awesome tourguide Michelle is!
ReplyDeleteThe hat...super cute!
I've never been to Portland, but your photos are making me consider it! Sounds like it was a lovely day.
ReplyDeleteHi Kathy -
ReplyDeleteYou did take a lot of photos - all excellent, and they captured the day perfectly - from before sunrise (!) till way after sunset.
Hope everything is cool with you - and the sox are coming along!
Cheers -
Denise
Looks like so much fun - I love your pictures!
ReplyDelete