Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Knit happens

I seem to suffer from my own version of Second Sock Syndrome. To better explain, I give you Exhibit A:




No, it's not an optical illusion. My first sock is quite a bit larger than the second. See how the color pools differently on the first?
When I brought them to show at knit group this morning, more than one person had the same query, "Oh, what happened?" My answer: "Knit happened." Apparently I'm in the habit of forgetting that I knit tighter and tighter as I go along. In fact, all of the three times I've ever knitted a pair of socks... one has been consistently smaller than the other. But it's been a long time since I've knitted my last pair of socks. So I forgot about my Second Sock Syndrome.

My friend Carol, the first recipient of my sock knitting, graciously assured me that her socks fit perfectly as she conveniently claimed to have one foot larger than the other. Hmmm.... I think I should have already known this fact about my friend of over a decade--- but I love her for making the allowance.

The hubby, who'd already seen me start over several times on this recent pair, tactfully suggested I move on. I tend to agree. My friends in knit group thought it would be a good idea to knit one more pair in the same yarn, one larger sock and one smaller sock instead of re-doing. Then I'll have two size-matched pairs. I think that will be a great solution!


Here are a couple pics Morgan took last weekend while we were waiting to be seated for Nathan's hip-hop dance recital at a local junior high school. Yep. I'm working on that second sock--- I thought I was just politely minding my own business but it happened that Saturday was actually World Wide Knit In Public Day. I wasn't even aware of WWKIP until later when I visited Susan's and Michele's blogs. I was just doing my usual thing and Morgan snapped away on her new camera because she thought I'd like some pics for my blog.
Ahh, those poor children of mine. They've been trained so well--- ;) And doesn't Colby look absolutely thrilled to be watching me knit? Hee! I don't think so. (P.S. That's Mike standing behind Colbs--- I think this is the first time his pic has been on the blog. Welcome to blogosphere, Honey!)


This reminds me of another time I was KIP (knitting in public). I was very excited to see The Holiday with a my friend Elisabeth and her daughter Emilie when the movie first came out a couple of years ago. In the years spanning our friendship, Elisabeth's daughter has gone from being our kids' babysitter as a highschooler to graduating from college and becoming a young professional in high-tech. Even with our age difference, Emilie had always been interested in my opinions on Girl Stuff: fashion, decorating, entertaining, crafting. We'd crafted and lunched together on several occasions and I was always so validated and gratified by having her teenaged stamp of approval. And later, her young adult approval continued to make me feel very cool, like a cool mom, even.
Long story short: our movie started, I pulled out a blanket that I'd been working on for some time, (it was probably not the most portable project I could have chosen to bring) Emilie caught sight of me and my mammoth white fuzzy throw and asked incredulously, "What are you doing?"
"I'm trying to finish knitting this, Silly."
That was it: The moment I went from 'cool adult' to completely and utterly uncool 'older-type-person.' Lesson learned. Crafting is one thing--- but CIP is another thing entirely. Apparently.

Fortunately, Emilie and I are still friends. And I'm very glad of this. My coolness just wasn't meant to last, and I'm okay with it.

Because sometimes, knit like that just happens. ;)

11 comments:

  1. Hmmmm, maybe you need to learn two at a time socks on circs. Monkeys, eh?

    You are one gorgeous KIPper, BTW

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually bring knitting with me to PTO meetings, Grace's horseback riding lessons, and soccer games, but I've never knitted while standing in line. I bow to your greatness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok you win, I've never done that standing in line. And you've trained your son well, my kids would have killed me. As for the socks, maybe the second one on a bigger needle?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun post! I like the 2-at-a-time idea -- or could you always go up a needle size for your second socks?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the above posters, two at a time would work for you! I do like your Monkeys anyway! :)

    And Knitting in Public IS cool, IMO. I didn't really pay attention to WWKIPD because I knit in public every day - on the bus, subway, work, etc. I guess being a New Yorker I just don't really care what others think, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it when people knit in public. I think it's silly to keep our hobbies private--read, knit, sew, do sudoku, whatever in public!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh. Guilty of CIP. I cannot possibly count the number of little girls' socks onto which I crocheted ruffles or the number of beads strung while waiting for appointments, standing in line, riding (not driving!) in the car, and other assorted holes into which time has disappeared over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. *hee hee* Very cute. I mean, I'm too cool for the whole "knitting thing", of course, but cute! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The socks look great anyway! Love your CIP story, too cute. Anyone who can knit socks like that standing in line is pretty cool to me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok...
    1 Everybody has one foot bigger than the other..so it's fine!
    2 Somebody else would love those socks...so knitting a second pair is also an ace idea.

    PS..you got me envious with your fairisle....so I thought I'd have a bash at crochet....I'm off for a lesson tomorrow morning!!!

    PPS Just discovered a cheats way to knit fair isle...Sidar's Crofter DK...it automatically mushes together a fair isle effect...it's not bad! So might have to dust off some knitting needles...get frustrated then post you some wool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can say it with pride..."I am a Public Knitter and I am not ashamed of it."
    Ever since I started a few months ago, I am obsessed and cannot get enough so I am FORCED to take it with me everywehre. I don't care what people think!!!
    And worry not, I know I am slightly younger than you.... ;) and I certainly don't think you uncool! :)

    P.S. I had the same prob with my first ever knit socks, which I just completed but I think it's because I lost track of the amount of rows on 1 sock. :P

    ReplyDelete