
So crazed was I about attending sock classes and a book signing with Cookie A., that I paid no heed to ensuring my youngest was a part of my fan pic. Sorry Colby.
The venue, Renaissance Yarns at Kent Station was awesome, loved sitting next to my fellow Ravelers Liz and Brian, and Cookie's teaching was just terrific. The boys and I were there for both the morning and afternoon classes that were offerred: "Socks Toe-Up" and "Traveling Stitches."

The Toe-Up technique was a new one for me. Besides the added benefit of measuring as you go, toe-up socks fit high arches better because of the gusset construction. Of course, being a toe-up newbie and a complete spaz on double points, I was only able to actually complete the toe cast-on, ribbed cuff, and kitchener cast-off during class.

The hand-outs Cookie created for both classes are very detailed and will be a valuable resource that I'll return to often.
Here's my traveling stitches swatch. There was a more complicated lace swatch for us to do as well, but again I was doing well just to have completed the simpler one.

In the second class, Cookie focused on really de-mystifying her design process by explaining how to place different types of increases and decreases within a stitch pattern in order to turn vertical motifs into ones that will move in any direction you desire. Even though I have little aspiration for designing my own patterns, it just helps to have a clearer picture of the building blocks of knit design. A far cry from my humble swatch, here's Cookie A.'s Ornette design:

I used to prefer written instrucions for knit patterns but converted to chart reading after knitting my (single) lace glove. I must admit before my conversion, I resisted charts and thought of them as quite foreign; a bewildering collection of dots and dashes like this one from a Japanese knitting book:

To borrow a phrase from The Matrix, "I'm seeing the code now." Mere ciphers and cryptograhps have been transformed before my very eyes into Neo and Morpheus doing all sorts of crazy martial arts stuff. And since the class with Cookie, I can now look at a pattern chart and see motifs that travel! He-he ;)

I just have to add how terrific the boys were, too. Mike and Morgan are traveling with her volleyball team so the boys had literally no choice but to attend the workshop with me. They sat for six plus hours in the store while I knitted and they didn't make a peep! They busied themselves with Ipods, books, the sports page, and handheld games. Of course I had bribed them earlier by purchasing new games for their Gameboys that they hadn't been allowed to play until the day of my class. The bribery continued with Johnny Rockets for lunch during the break and Fondi pizza for dinner with Coldstone ice cream after the workshop was over. But still, they were champs and I'm grateful to have been able to do both classes.

Hope you had a great weekend too and are enjoying your Summer!


You found a way to work one of my favorite movies into your blog.
ReplyDeleteThe boys look content, it sounds like they enjoyed the day!
I was going to ask how you got the boys to behave for so long, but you answered my question.
ReplyDeleteI've been on a tear this weekend, using up leftover yarn bits on whatever project will work. So far, my girls' dolls are getting lots of new things.
What a fun venue! "Ravelers"--such a funny name;) Your boys are adorable and I'm impressed at how cooperative they were (once bribed!).
ReplyDeleteJealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteWhere is the jealous button! What a great experience you had.
ReplyDeleteJealous (1)!
ReplyDeleteWhat fun!
ReplyDeletere: fiberphile club, yes; but the updates don't seem too bad (yet) so I think you will get your fiberphile fill :) and yes, was stoked about Janine's post!
Dear friends,
ReplyDeleteI'm so going to be hittin' the jealous button when you all are rockin' at Sock Summit and I'm sittin' at home. ;)
Love,
Kathy
Sounds like a great day! How wonderful of your kids to let you spend the day knitting.
ReplyDeleteOooh. You bribe way better than we do. I'm so not letting my kids get wind of this post! Sounds like a fun day with all sorts of good somethings for everyone.
ReplyDeleteSounds like your kids got a pretty good deal out of it! It's great that you were all able to have a fun day.
ReplyDeleteI must admit I don't yet see the code. I always use written instructions!
OMG SO JEALOUS that you got to meet Cookie and take a class from her! And I'm not even going to Sock Summit so you can't even claim to be jealous of me later. :(
ReplyDeleteAnd kudos for the Matrix reference! :)
I'm glad you had fun at your workshop! haha i see that you are wearing your newly knitted socks at this moment.. :D
ReplyDeleteDo i get to go to Sarah's party, now? ;)
<3 momo