Friday, February 6, 2009

"Love is in the details..."


Got my 'baby girl' fix today.... yes, I did. Always a treat to meet friends for coffee on Friday while the kids are in school. Extra special treat today to have one amongst us bring her baby girl so that we all could fuss over.
It's been a span of several years since my friend R. gave birth to Baby Girl's siblings and it's been almost as long since this group of girls has had a get-together. Of course, there have been many changes in all of our lives over the past years; many good, and some, not-so-good. But to behold the absolute delight that Baby Girl provokes, definitely puts an emphasis on 'the good.' This morning, it was unanimously agreed upon that Baby Girl's cheerful and easy-going nature is proof that she was born to be 'one of the girls'... she actually giggled every time a new outfit appeared out of it's gift wrap. Neither did she neglect to express her approval for the gift wrap itself... how else? but with plenty of drool! What's more, we realized that the little doll I gave Baby Girl actually bears a striking resemblance to her:
I neglected to share one small thing with the group when we were together, (probably because we were very busy fitting as many details from the past few years into our visit as possible and because it wasn't important to our conversation) but I'll use this venue to note my personal penchant for the gifting of M. Alexander dolls. I love that Beatrice Alexander Behrman gave herself the title, Madame, when she founded her company in 1923--- out of her kitchen, no less! And I love of course that she designed her first dolls based on the characters of many beloved books including Alice in Wonderland, Little Women, and Gone With the Wind. Therefore, I don't think it would be a completely illogical leap to hold to the belief that girls who are given Alexander dolls grow up to be lovers of books. Well, maybe the only proof I have for this theory is myself and my own daughter, but I happily hope that there will be many more fortunate occasions to speculate on this. Madame Alexander's favorite expression is said to be, "Love is in the details...." Now, could a doll infused with the same sentiment, given and received, somehow impart a quality equally as magical as a love for books? You already know what I think.
Thanks for a great time this morning, friends o' mine!

2 comments:

  1. This may explain why I'm only semi-literate. I never had a Madame Alexander doll. Is it too late to get one? Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly, Carol. Your subscription to "Scientific American" only counts as 'fluff' reading. I will get you a doll.

    ReplyDelete