A completely disorienting, oh dear, DANG-IT! moment: Doorbell rings.... it's my weaving instructor, per the appointment I made with her, noted in my calendar, and had by phone confirmed with her. Only, this week, two of my three children have been on mid-winter break from school while their brother had only Monday off. Of course this is just the sort of thing that causes me not to know what day of the week it really is, what time I'm supposed to pick up and drop off whom, which sports team practices have been cancelled, etc...
So having already been late to drop off child #2 to school, having not eaten, having not tidied the house, having not even combed my hair... I open the door to my lovely weaving instructor, Barbara who readily greets me and the other of my offspring in her usual gracious and easy manner as if nothing's amiss.
I apologize for my lapse... blame it on the proverbial loss of brain cells, yada, yada,... we chuckle, I scramble, toss odds and ends out of the way, make some clanging of dishes, put on a pot of coffee... and we're ready to begin.
Later, after we'd comfortably settled into our session, I remembered the purchase I had made at the puzzle and game store and thought how appropriate it would be to share with Barb:

... a human brain cell, magnified a million times. I'd purchased several to give away to brainy friends. Of course I hadn't given any thought to the fact that I could probably use a few extra myself considering all the brain cells I've undeniably lost due to pregnancy, hormones, stress,--- what we all know to be part and parcel of 'motherhood' in general. I gave one to Barb who said it'd make a good party favor for a girls' get-together she was planning on hosting.
I was glad I could convince Morgan and Colby to join in on our weaving session, too. The kids actually had a lot of fun working the loom... I couldn't resist teasing Colby about giving up Lego for the textile arts.

"Huh???....,"was his response. I changed my tactic.
"Maybe, I'll save these pictures to show your girlfriend when you have one, what do you think?"
(Barb with extra brain cell in hand)
"Is that blackmail?," he said.
"No!," we all laughed. "We'll just call it leverage," I said, and Mocha knowingly agreed.
I had another type of moment just then---you know the moment. It's the one where you'd readily agree to give up any number of brain cells ..... and forget any concern you've had about the progression of these since the onset of motherhood:
......because you're grateful for all the ordinary moments just being Mom.


Those brain cells are great, unfortunately i have lost more than my share already.
ReplyDeleteBack when we were kids, blackmail of times past was limited to photos - now we have all sorts of medium to use for future embarrasment. Not much has changed though in that parents are the primary source of embarrasment for their kids.
I am enjoying your blogs and how you are using it to introspect on daily life. Keep writing!
Like Barb said, those microbes are better than beanie babies!! :D
ReplyDeleteThe common cold one was probably my favorito.
The fat cell looks like a mushroom, or that charcacter Toad, from the Mario video games... :D
Weaving is really fun, I love to see the fabric just come together, but I only got to do the fun part. I didn't have to set up the loom and yada yada yada, but it was fun!!!
Yeah! Keep on writing!!! :D