Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Go big or go home...

I did not participate in the 2010 Knitting Olympics that ended a few short weeks ago because honestly, I didn't see the point of enduring the stress of that kind of "self-imposed" knitting deadline. I mean, couldn't we knitters just relax, enjoy the spectacle of the Olympics and leave it at that? No???

Instead, Knitting Olympians everywhere pushed themselves to the limit, casted on more challenging projects than ever and worked feverishly for weeks. While Olympic athletes competed, knitters cheered them on--- and strived to complete their knitted projects before the end of the Winter Games in hopes of attaining their own "Knitting Olympic Gold."
Really?

Yes, I completely snubbed the Knitting Olympics. And then...

It started with a baby gift. After the usual length of procrastination and then several false starts on other potential projects for the baby, I finally settled on a drop-shoulder sweater based on a design from the 1940's, Dewey Cabled Pullover.

DSC08952

DSC08978

But commencement of the sweater-knitting was delayed to just a week before the baby shower because I suddenly had an inexplicable desire to "cross the finish line" on the socks I'd started for myself before the shower invitation had arrived:

2nd Monkeys

Wabi Sabi Monkeys

Nevertheless, I dug deep and was able to complete the socks on Monday and the sweater last Friday--- just in the nick of time. "Goal!...Goal!"
Whew.

Then yesterday, while finalizing travel arrangements for our trip to France, we decided that it would be much better to go for 10 days instead of 6. So of course, I thought to myself... what on earth do I have to wear for those four extra days?
I know. I'll just knit 3 new sweaters and stole:

Calm_2

Prudence_1

Pagan_1

aura-3
(Photos: www.kimhargreaves.co.uk)

Right. That's what I'll do.

So this morning... I ordered all the yarn I'll need for every last project. Mind you, all of this knitting needs to be finished before May 15 if it's going to do anyone any good.

I have nothing to say in my own defense except,

I was home alone.

And there was no one here to stop me from becoming a walking, talking, paradox... o_0

The Olympics may be over and done with, but I've finally gained my own "vision for knitted glory"... and I'm going for the Gold.

13 comments:

  1. Looks like you need an intervention! Those are lovely projects, though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This isn't just the Olympics; it's the Ironman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the vote of confidence, Susan ;) I actually saw your pretty Tweed blanket and orginally tried to knit one for the shower... OMG so difficult! Had to switch to the sweater.
    P.S. All of the projects except for Prudence were rated on Ravelry to be easy, fast knits. We shall see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, good luck with all that! You probably will pull it off, but boy will it be tough! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, when you go for it you really go for it! Good luck, I love all the projects!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too funny, never say never, eh?

    Where in La France are you going?

    I am trying to figure out what to take to the UK in October in the way of knitted wear, as I will be on the Channel and KNOW I will be in need. Sweater #3 might be just the ticket..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that stole - self-imposed deadlines are always more interesting I think. Look forward to hearing about your trip - whereabouts in France are you visiting?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are an animal! Holy smokes, that's a lot of knitting! And not sloppy knitting--GOOD, ATTENTIVE, DETAILED knitting! I stand in awe of your magnificence.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great selection of projects. I'll be rooting for you to make your goal! But I have no doubt you'll make since that lovely baby sweater seemed to fly off your needles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Way to throw a SMACKDOWN! Impresive.

    I think that it counts to have the projects completed on the trip as long as it's before the trip is over...this means that the 8+ hour plane trips could be used very effectively towards your own solo atheltic effort. Call it Ultra-Endurance Knitting.

    I LOVE pagan! Can't wait to see it completed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. France???? France??? Why am I hearing about this on your blog and not in person??? This explains your profile pic....he he

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful projects, Kathy. Love the little sweater!

    ReplyDelete