
Wow, so much to say about this. Okay, so I'll start with the glittering overview and get more into the "knitty gritty" over the next couple of posts:
Sam and I were among the 40 lucky knitters that were granted a weekend of mentoring under two of Knitting's Greats: Stephanie Pearl McPhee- author, knitter, humorist, and Tina Newton-master dyer and founder of Blue Moon Fiber Arts. If I had to describe Knot Hysteria in a phrase, I'd call it an acoustic version of Sock Summit.
Better venue?--- the Inn at Port Ludlow: picture perfect setting (especially before the wind and rain hit) with both staff and accomodations that exuded 'off-the-beaten-path' warmth and congeniality. Once there, we were treated to 12 hours of total class time that included instruction on the History of Knitting and Techniques in Knitting Efficiency with our "Professor McPhee," and Techniques in Dyeing Yarn with Tina, the "Doctor of Dye." In between class sessions, there were wonderful meals provided and equally wonderful knitters to connect with. In fact, the inn was booked to capacity for the weekend--- all knitters, in every last room. And oh— did I mention that Blue Moon Fiber Arts and Carolina Homespun hosted a lovely on-site store for our knitterly shopping pleasure? See what I mean?— all the earmarks of a major knitting event, minus the crowds.
I should note here that I'm not at all professing "knitting crowds" to be a bad thing. There's undoubtedly much to be gained from the sense of excitement (hysteria), and grand camaraderie that big knitting events provide for ahem, 'our kind.' But it was also terrific to have a chance to really engage and focus intently on the knowledge and keen insight Stephanie and Tina offerred to us, a small and eager gathering of knitters at Port Ludlow... (kNot hysterics) ;)
Here are a few more "snapshots" from the weekend:






to be continued...


Great photos Kathy! It was so great to spend time with you this weekend! I miss it already!
ReplyDeleteOMG, it looked like an amazing time!! So jealous :)
ReplyDeleteWoo hoo! I remember that ferry ride! Except I would take it from the Kitsap Peninsula to Seattle and back. And I loved Port Townsend! I'm sure it was as fun for you as you are building it up to be!
ReplyDeleteJealous (1) even the weather would have made me happy, stay inside and knit, none so bad...
ReplyDeleteWhat a lucky weekend for you!
ReplyDeleteam green with envy, was reading about Port Ludlow on YH's blog and have started making a list of my ultimate knitting break...yours sounds fantastic
ReplyDeletewow! how exciting! and what a cool building for a yarn shop. thanks for sharing the photos. looking forward to hearing more about your fun trip! :)
ReplyDeleteI had such a great time meeting you in Port Ludlow! What an awesome weekend. Your pictures are wonderful. Can't wait to see more!
ReplyDeleteSounds fabulous! Wish I could have been there.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to your knitty gritty posts.
Very, very jealous!!!
ReplyDeleteWhat lovely time you girls had. Wish I could have been there:)
ReplyDeletelooks like a beautiful place in which to be doing beautiful things!
ReplyDeleteIt was great to see you at the retreat. I love the photos.
ReplyDeleteIntimate is so often much more the thing, at least, in my opinion.
ReplyDeleteLovely photos! You're so lucky in the States, you have so many yarn shops! x
ReplyDelete