Monday, May 4, 2009

Sweetness

I'm by no means what anyone would consider a gardener. Several years ago, I bought a few peony bulbs at Costco and plunked them into the ground with only a vague idea of the proper method. To my astonishment, we actually had peonies a few months later. I realize that's the whole point of planting perennials--- but it never ceases to amaze me when they return every Spring, without the slightest bit of effort or thought on my part. Sweet! Now that's my kind of gardening.


Maybe because I've been taking photos lately of my knitted works-in-progress, I suddenly felt the urge this morning to snap a few pics of these plants in-progress too. Aren't the buds just as exciting as the flowers themselves? And isn't it bittersweet when the peonies finally bloom, since they won't again for another year?



I had a major breakthrough in spinning this weekend thanks to a couple of ladies at the Eastside Spinners group. Stephanie saw me struggling with 'The Beast' (my Louet S10) and took it upon herself to assist. She gave me lots of roving (that she'd dyed herself) and taught me how to pre-draft it. It turns out that the wheel that I use is known for having tons of torque, so it really pulls against your drafting efforts (the process of smoothing and pulling the wool fiber to a desirable density just as it's twisted into yarn.) One of my fellow Ravelers recently told me that spinning on his S15 was like wrestling a bunch of squirrels! I like my wheel, but I completely concur. Pre-drafting was the solution though, and I began spinning like crazy.
After noting my progress, my friend Tara sat down next to me and taught me how to ply my yarn! So guess what I was doing the rest of the weekend?

One spindle...


Two spindles...



Two-ply yarn! Copperwood:


Here's my second 4 oz. hank of merino top: Pearl Drop


There's been a slight problem, though. I've been using my kitchen scale to weigh exact amounts of roving for each spindle. Even so, one spindle has been consistently running out before the other when I ply. I'm not able to spin evenly enough to balance the yardage yet.

So I guess I'll need to figure out what I can do with my leftover one-ply yarn:



Here's a one-ply Ocean for my half-finished Nemo fish. What do you think?
Uh-oh. Now I've really gone off the deep end...



And finally, the wonky yarn that started it all. Tara helped me ply this with the stuff I made from Stephanie's colorful roving.

Spinning and peonies 039
I think I'll call it, Kid in a Candy Store. *Wink-wink!*

16 comments:

  1. Your peonies are so beautiful! I didn't have much luck with them in my last yard (not enough sun where they were planted), so I'm hopeful I'll have better luck in this new yard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! you are doing amazing at spinning! I just LOVE the look of the 2 plied yarn! Oh ya, and I love the ocean yarn! Fits right in with little Nemo. :)

    I just love it when things I plant grow. I tend to kill plants...hehe..glad you have a green thumb, unlike me. lol

    You make spinning look like so much fun! And what great yarn you are getting out of it! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the yarn is so pretty! I really love the ocean one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nemo and his Ocean tickled me and got a "Wow!" fromm Middle Child who was reading over my shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know whether I've ever seen peonies before. I like the foliage. I'd love for you to post a pic of the flowers when they open.

    So cool that you are spinning your own yarn. I love those "getting back to basics" skills. I've always wanted to learn to cook in a traditional brick oven.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard peonies can last a hundred years. I find that amazing. Love your yarn, someday mine may get good enough to show. The blue one does remind me of the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooooohh that yarn looks yummy!! :) They are fabulous colors! Keep up the work, momma!!

    P.S. I like the "Beyond the Burbs" Sidebar.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That yarn is stupendous. Am v. impressed. Groovy peonies too. I made the mistake of moving some when we moved into our house and it looks as if this year is they first they will bloom. I'll take a couple of pictures and post them over my way. Funny to think we have same flowers so far apart!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your peonies are lovely - I wish I had a garden. We just use a tiny corner of our courtyard. And your yarn is starting to look really impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun! I love gardening, but I think I'd enjoy spinning too--that yarn looks so soft!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so impressed with all your spinning! You're really doing well with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your yarns! I never could get thouse gorgeous thick early yarns... mine when strainght to extra fine (not always good, but fine... instead of being thick and uneven, mine was fine and sometimes breaky)

    love the plant pics too. we are trying to grow a veggie garden this year, and I have no clue what I am doing, lol. just hope it grows something.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The almost-flowering flowers look lovely, but the yarn looks fantastic! Really impressive spinning job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your yarns look great. I love the Kid in a Candy Store (great name!) and the Copperwood is lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very pretty spinning! Look up "andean plying" to solve your leftovers on the bobbin trouble. Every spinner, no matter how experienced has that happen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your yarn is taking off well! I'm very impressed. I love especially Pearl drops! Do you have any patterns/projects in mind for them? can't wait to see!

    ReplyDelete